7 Best Vehicle Tracking Devices 2023
Everything You Need To Know About Vehicle GPS
Monitoring vehicle activity for company fleets, assets, and driving habits is important for any business. In fact, if you have company vehicles and are not using real-time GPS for recording trip history, vehicle maintenance, or driver safety, there is a good chance you are putting yourself and any business partner(s) at risk. This article will help you by explaining the benefits of location tracking, as well as listing the 7 best GPS car tracker options designed for monitoring your business vehicles. Now, let’s dig in!
1. Plug & Play OBD Vehicle GPS Tracker – Best Overall
- Location Update Every 3 Seconds
- Easy OBDii Port Connection
- No Monthly Subscription Required
- Lifetime Warranty + Free Technical Support
- Instant Alerts (Mobile & Email)
- No Installation Required – Plugs Into OBD Port
- Upfront GPS Device Cost
- Not A Magnetic GPS
Why We Like Plug & Play OBD2 Vehicle GPS Tracker: If increasing driver safety, having access to vehicle diagnostics, and getting realtime tracking updates are important to your business then the Plug & Play OBD2 is the GPS device for you! This car locator is an awesome fleet management solution because it offers numerous data reports that allow you to track everything from speed to trip history. However, the main reason this OBDii GPS locator makes our list as the top GPS vehicle tracker for 2023 is the full year of service that is included with the purchase.
Plug & Play mini GPS tracker will give you the ability to playback the history of past travel activity so can see everywhere your drivers have been and how long they were at each location. The best part? You have lifetime access to this driver monitoring data!
Bottom line: no activation fee or monthly subscription fees means you save money and are not locked into any annual service contracts. That is a very good thing for you or your business!
2. Vyncs GPS: Best Vehicle Tracker On Amazon
- 6,000+ Amazon Reviews
- Affordable Real Time GPS Tracking $119.95 + $40 Activation Fee
- Roadside Assistance Option
- GPS Tracker App Records Mileage
- $40 Activation Fee
- Not A Magnetic GPS
- Slow Real-Time Location Updates (60 Seconds)
Why We Like Vyncs GPS Tracker: Vyncs GPS will allow you to track vehicle positions as fast as every 60 seconds on the Vyncs Basic plan. The Vyncs GPS doesn’t update anywhere near as fast as the Plug & Play tracker device (3 seconds), but the product is pretty decent if you want a simple GPS locator that is fairly cheap.
Compared to other Amazon products such as the SpyTec GPS and Brickhouse Security Spark Nano pet GPS tracker, Vyncs is a pretty solid GPS tracker for vehicles. However, some verified reviews have stated the interface is not user-friendly and support is slow to respond. So that is something you should consider before investing in this real time GPS.
3. Everlast Nano – Best Vehicle GPS With 6 Month Battery
- Magnetic GPS Tracker With 6 Months Battery Life
- Fast Technical Support (Phone + Email)
- User-Friendly Tracker For Tracking Assets Or Loved Ones
- Waterproof Case Included
- Real Time GPS Tracking Device Is Large | Dimensions: 6.37″ x 4.75″ x 2.12″
- Subscription Plans Start At $17.99 (Year Commitment)
Why We Like Everlast GPS: Small, portable, and powerful enough to provide 6 straight months of real time GPS tracking, Everlast Nano is the GPS vehicle tracker for anyone who wants to monitor an asset long term. But why is Everlast a good car tracking device? The answer is simple, power. Place the tracking device on a vehicle and secretly track it for months. This magnetic GPS tracker has month-to-month data plans that can provide GPS updates every 3 seconds, which ties it with the Plug & Play GPS for the fastest on the market.
Everlast Nano is equipped with domestic and international SIM cards, allowing you to track your fleet vehicles in the United States, Mexico, and Canada!
Everlast Nano is perfect for police and private investigators who demand real-time GPS tracking devices with long battery life.
4. MotoSafety – Best Vehicle GPS For Teen Driver Monitoring
- One Free Month Of Real Time GPS Tracking
- Super Cheap Price ($29.95)
- Great For Tracking Teens & Loved Ones
- $25 Monthly Cost Subscription Plan
- No Technical Support Phone Number
- 25% Of Amazon Reviews Are 3 Stars Or Less
Why We Like MotoSafety GPS: This tracker plugs into the OBD2 port which allows the car tracking device to pull power from the automobile it is connected upon. With intuitive online software designed for teen driving safety, MotoSafety GPS is a proven real time GPS tracking device.
One product highlight of MotoSafety GPS is the online interface which was designed to assist parents in tracking a teen driver’s location in real time. In fact, MotoSafety GPS tracker devices allow parents to set up authorized hours of use, sending alerts to parents when a vehicle is used outside approved hours!
Other cool features of MotoSafety include GPS data that will show parents exactly where a teen stops, and how fast speed they have been driving. Finally, it will display all that information on a Google Maps interface that can be accessed from a GPS tracker app.
Learn more about how to track a teenager’s car without her knowing
5. LAS Overdrive – Best Magnetic GPS Vehicle Tracker
- Magnetic GPS Tracker With Long Battery Life
- Super Cheap Price ($29.95)
- (3-4x More Battery Life Than Amazon Best Seller LandAirSea 54)
- Free Technical Support & Lifetime Warranty
- Geofence Alerts, Speed Alerts, Low Battery Alerts
- Cost $199.95
- Monthly Subscription
- Very Few Amazon Reviews
Why We Like Overdrive by LandAirSea: This GPS tracker is great because it has the 2nd longest battery life of any real time GPS data logger on the market today. But unlike the Everlast (that offers longer battery life but is much larger in size), the Overdrive is a mini vehicle tracking device at D: 2.813″ H: 1.00″.
If your business has a problem employee, all you need to do is equip this car tracker on their work vehicle. After that, you, your business partner, or your fleet manager can secretly track the potential problem driver. Using nothing more than your smartphone or a computer, you can gather evidence from the car GPS tracker to determine if the employee is driving dangerously.
6. Lightning GPS OBD2 – Best Vehicle Tracker For Small Business
- $24.95 Cost For Truck & Car GPS Tracker
- Great For Managing Business Fleets
- Free Technical Support
- A $29.95 Monthly Subscription Fee Required
- Can Take 5-10 Minutes or Satellites To Acquire Position
- Real-Time GPS Is Visible To Driver
Why We Like Lightning GPS OBD Port Tracker: Lightning GPS connects to the OBD2 port of any vehicle, providing continuous power and vehicle diagnostics. This means you don’t have to hire a professional installer to hard-wire the GPS fleet tracking device.
Lightning GPS has better technical support than Vyncs GPS and MotoSafety, and the vehicle tracking system is more affordable. The simple plug-and-play design is also perfect for small business fleets that don’t need a more powerful GPS vehicle management tool with a dash cam or starter disable features.
Simply attach Lightning GPS to the OBDii port and get diagnostics reports such as hard breaking and track the location of any employees in real time.
7. GPS Tracking Key – Best Vehicle Tracker With No Subscription Required
- GPS Data Logger Tracks Every Second
- Global Coverage
- No Monthly Subscription Required
- USB Cap Easily Lost
- Does Not Work For Mac OS
- LandAirSea No Longer Supports Car GPS Tracker
- GPS Vehicle Tracker Is Not Real Time
- The Battery Door Compartment Is Difficult To Access
Why We Like LandAirSea GPS Tracking Key: This hidden GPS tracker has no monthly fees and tracks every single second. Sounds great on the surface, but the reason the tracker device has no subscription fees is that it is not a real time GPS tracker. So how do you view GPS vehicle tracking data? The answer is you will need to remove the GPS Tracking Key from the automobile and download the data via a USB port.
LnadAirSea has discontinued production and support of the GPS Tracking Key, but the mini GPS tracker can still be found in some online stores.
10 Ways GPS Can Help You Manage Vehicle Fleets
How expensive can bad driving habits be on your business? Consider information from the Department of Energy that states when a driver exceeds the speed limit by only over 10 mph or more they increase fuel consumption by 14%! Now consider the fact that drivers who are speeding result in approximately 30% of documented automobile accidents. The damage bad driving habits can have on your business is immense. Here are 10 fleet management tips that can help you manage your vehicle fleets!
- Slow Down: Excessive speeding not only increases fuel consumption but also increases the likelihood of a driver being involved in an automobile accident.
- Speeding: GPS vehicle trackers will give you the ability to know how fast all your drivers are going and even alert you if they are speeding.
- Reduce Vehicle Load: More weight on your trucks means more fuel being consumed so reduce any extra weight on long trips.
- GPS Navigation: Shorter routes mean less fuel consumption and a GPS navigation system will make sure you avoid traffic.
- Route Optimization: GPS saves money by allowing your company to optimize routes and find the most efficient paths for your business vehicles and trucks.
- Increase Driver Safety: Dash cams with GPS vehicle tracking utilize AI to determine if your drivers are getting tired, eating, or texting.
- Auto Theft Security: Fleets, assets, and other valuables can all be tracked down in seconds with location tracking devices if they are ever targeted by thieves.
- GPS Fleet Tracking: track vehicle movements of all your mobile assets and get historical access to driving reports if a driver is involved in an accident.
- Vehicle Maintenance: Reduce wear and tear by getting instant alerts on harsh braking, vehicle idling, or other driving behaviors that can result in increased vehicle maintenance
- Employee Safety Guide: When your drivers know a GPS car tracker is helping you manage your assets they are far more likely to follow employee safety guide protocols.
GPS Vehicle Locator Reviews – How We Do It
Our security experts at GPS Tracker Shop began our search for the best GPS vehicle trackers by researching the top-selling tracking devices on Amazon, as well as picks from industry professionals. These professionals include law enforcement agencies, private investigators, and GPS surveillance experts. We researched online reviews and performed in-house testing on the tracker devices to find out what products were the best of the best for 2023. You can learn more about this testing process on our evaluation and methodology page!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best GPS Vehicle Tracker?
According to our buying and safety guide, the best OBD vehicle GPS tracker for small business fleet vehicles is the Plug & Play system. The device beat out other real time GPS trackers such as the Vyncs and MotoSafety by offering faster real-time location updates, quality technical support, and live vehicle tracking with no monthly subscription fees.
The best magnetic GPS vehicle tracker is the Everlast, beating out Amazon’s top sellers the SpyTec GL300, Trak4, and LandAirSea 54. Features that made Everlast stand above wireless GPS competitors were long battery life, no annual service contracts, and GPS coverage in all of North America.
How Do I Know That My GPS Vehicle Tracker Is Working Correctly?
You can easily check your vehicle’s location and the status of your GPS device by accessing the tracking software either through a web-based interface or a mobile app. This allows you to see the current location (as well as historical data) of your vehicle and any other relevant information, such as speed and direction of travel.
Can I Use Tracking Systems To Monitor Multiple Vehicles In My Fleet?
Yes, many GPS fleet tracking solutions allow you to monitor multiple vehicles at once, giving you a comprehensive view of the location and status of all vehicles in your fleet!
Are There Any Portable Asset Tracking Devices Available For Tracking Equipment and other assets?
Yes, there are portable asset tracking devices available that can be used to track the location and movement of equipment and other assets. These portable trackers are typically small, battery-powered, and can be easily moved from one location to another. In fact, there are some asset GPS solutions that be used to secure both your vehicles and assets!
Can I Integrate My GPS Vehicle Tracker With Smart Home Devices Such As Amazon Alexa?
Yes, it is possible to integrate your personal vehicle management tools with smart home devices such as Amazon Alexa, allowing you to receive alerts and check the status of your vehicles from your smart home system. GPS tracking solution companies such as Brickhouse Security, Vyncs GPS Tracker, and GPS Tracker Shop all offer free technical support and can help you get this set up if you need assistance.
- 7 Best Vehicle Tracking Devices 2023
- 1. Plug & Play OBD Vehicle GPS Tracker – Best Overall
- 2. Vyncs GPS: Best Vehicle Tracker On Amazon
- 3. Everlast Nano – Best Vehicle GPS With 6 Month Battery
- 4. MotoSafety – Best Vehicle GPS For Teen Driver Monitoring
- 5. LAS Overdrive – Best Magnetic GPS Vehicle Tracker
- 6. Lightning GPS OBD2 – Best Vehicle Tracker For Small Business
- 7. GPS Tracking Key – Best Vehicle Tracker With No Subscription Required
- GPS Vehicle Locator Reviews – How We Do It
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What Is The Best GPS Vehicle Tracker?
- How Do I Know That My GPS Vehicle Tracker Is Working Correctly?
- Can I Use Tracking Systems To Monitor Multiple Vehicles In My Fleet?
- Are There Any Portable Asset Tracking Devices Available For Tracking Equipment and other assets?
- Can I Integrate My GPS Vehicle Tracker With Smart Home Devices Such As Amazon Alexa?
- Frequently Asked Questions