Every 44 Seconds a Car Is Stolen In The US! Here Are 6 Car Theft Prevention Devices To Protect You
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, a car is stolen every 44 seconds in the United States. This staggering statistic highlights the importance of protecting your vehicle with car theft prevention devices. But what are the best tools to prevent auto theft, or at least help you recover your stolen vehicle? This article will discuss the top car anti-theft solutions from a steering wheel lock to real time GPS tracker. Here is our security expert list of the top 6 anti-theft car devices designed for theft prevention! Let’s dive in!
Best GPS Tracker For Car Anti Theft – Starter Disable GPS
When someone steals your car the most important thing is safely recovering that vehicle. And what is the best security device for recovering a stolen vehicle? The starter disable GPS!
Unlike Vyncs GPS tracker, which can easily be removed from the OBD2 port by a car thief, the starter disable GPS is hard-wired to your vehicle. Not only does this make the GPS tracker not visible to a car thief, but it also provides hidden kill switches that allow you to instantly disable the stolen vehicle! There is no easier way to stop a thief in their tracks!
3 Benefits Of GPS Tracking For Automotive Security
- Live GPS Vehicle Tracking. GPS devices allow you to secretly track your vehicle’s real-time location.
- Recovery Assistance. If your vehicle is stolen, real time GPS tracking can help in its recovery by giving you the exact location of the vehicle 24/7. This information can be shared with law enforcement so they can arrest the car thief and recover your vehicle.
- Historical Location Data. GPS tracking devices store the historical data of your car’s location, which can be useful to businesses that want a GPS for fleet management.
Fun Fact: Police consider tracking devices one of the best anti-theft solutions for car security
Tevlaphee Universal Steering Wheel Brake Lock – Best Security Device On Amazon
If you are looking for an easy and effective way to protect your car from theft, look no further than the Tevlaphee Universal Steering Wheel Brake Lock. This security device attaches to your steering wheel, making it impossible for car thieves to steal your car. The lock engages the brake pedal, so even if a thief manages to get into your car, they won’t be able to drive it away. Unlike other car theft prevention devices, the Tevlaphee Universal Steering Wheel Brake Lock is easy to use, portable and will fit most vehicles. What do we like most about this solid steel car anti theft device? That is can be installed in seconds, and it is nearly impossible to cut or break!
3 Benefits Of Car Wheel Locks
- Protect Your Ride. A steering wheel lock can offer protection for your car by locking the wheels, making it impossible for a thief to drive away with it.
- Deterrent. Wheel locks let potential thieves know that your car is protected, and if they want to steal your vehicle it is going to take work. This is usually enough to make them leave your vehicle alone.
- Versatility. Wheel locks are easy to use and portable, making the anti-theft device convenient for securing your car when parked and left unattended.
Watch a YouTube review of this product by Knowledge Base
Motorcycle Alarm Disc Brake Lock
This Amazon best-seller was designed to physically prevent your motorcycle from being driven away by engaging the brake lever, making it impossible for your motorcycle to be moved. This brake lock anti-theft device works by attaching to the brake lever of a motorcycle, making it difficult for a thief to use the brake and drive the motorcycle. Once the lock is engaged, the motorcycle is immobilized, making it impossible for a thief to drive away.
3 Benefits Of Motorcycle Brake Locks
- Theft Deterrent. The visible presence of a brake lock on a motorcycle serves as a warning to potential thieves that the motorcycle is protected.
- Physical Protection.Brake locks physically prevent the motorcycle from being driven away by engaging the brake lever, making it impossible for a thief to move the bike.
- Convenience. Brake locks are typically easy to use, portable, and can be installed quickly making it convenient for users to secure their motorcycle when parked and left unattended. Brake locks are a great tool for motorcycle theft prevention and can be carried along with the rider easily.
Best Alarm System – Compustar CS7900-AS
Alarm Systems: These devices emit a loud noise when they detect movement or vibrations in the car. It can also be integrated with GPS tracking devices to alert the owner and police of thefts.
3 Benefits Of Car Alarm Systems
- Scare off thieves. The loud noise generated by a car alarm will scare off potential thieves, letting them know that your vehicle is protected. This is one of the best ways of deterring them from attempting to steal your car.
- Quick response to car theft. Car alarms are typically linked to a monitoring system that alerts the owner or a security company of any unauthorized entry or movement of the vehicle. This allows for a quick response to a theft in progress.
- Increased vehicle protection. Car alarms can be connected to other security features such as GPS tracking, engine immobilization, and remote start/stop.
Check out real customer experiences with this theft prevention tool on Google Review
RVLock V4 Key Fob and Keyless Entry Keypad – Best For RVs
The RVLock V4 Key Fob is also engineered with a cool anti-theft security feature that includes a 5-button keyless entry pad, coded keys, and a backup mechanical key. The smart key also has a range of up to 50 feet so you can control your RV from a distance!
If you are looking for smart keys for your RV then you have to check out the RVLock V4 Key Fob! This innovative keyless entry system is designed to replace traditional RV keys and provide a more convenient and secure way to access your RV. How? First of all, with the press of a button, you can lock and unlock your RV, as well as turn on and off the RV’s LP gas and lights!
3 Benefits Of RV Lock
- Convenience. Key fobs allow you to remotely lock and unlock your car, as well as start or stop the engine with the press of a button. This makes them more advantageous than traditional car keys.
- Security. Key fobs typically include security features such as an immobilizer that prevents the car from starting without the proper key or fob.
- Features. Some key fobs include additional features such as a panic button, remote start, or even a real time GPS tracker.
Check out the complete review of this product on the LoveYourRV website
CarLock – Real Time GPS & Car Alarm
3 Benefits Of CarLock:
- Advanced security features. The anti-theft device and car alarm notifies drivers via their phones in the event of several critical scenarios, such as vehicle movement, engine ignition, detection of abnormal vibrations, and even if the device itself is disconnected.
- Detailed trip tracking and route history. CarLock provides continuous 24/7 monitoring of the vehicle’s location. The system automatically records all trips taken by the vehicle, including the distance traveled and the date and time of each trip.
- Teen driving. This feature empowers parents to monitor their teenage children’s driving behaviors, which can help decrease the likelihood of accidents. However, this exceptional functionality is not limited to just teenagers. It is also a fantastic tool for business owners to keep track of how their employees are driving work vehicles.
See what people on Reddit had to say about CarLock
5 Best Ways To Prevent Auto Theft
Lock Your Car & Close Your Windows
This might seem like super obvious information but leaving your car window down or a vehicle unlocked (even for a couple of minutes) can result in your car being stolen. Cars left unlocked or with the windows open are targets of opportunities for thieves.
- Preventative Measure: Ensure your vehicle is always locked, even for short periods.
- Reduce Opportunity: According to law enforcement agencies, over 50% of stolen cars were left unlocked.
- Habitual Practice: Make checking your car’s security a routine to minimize theft risk.
Use A Steering Wheel Lock Anti-Theft Device
Steering wheel locks are great because they often deter thieves from trying to steal your car. The reason? Car thieves want easy targets and a steering wheel lock can make it difficult and time-consuming to steal your automobile.
- Visible Deterrent. These devices visibly discourage theft; insurance reports show a significant decrease in thefts.
- Added Difficulty. It complicates the theft process, making your car a less attractive target.
Park In Well-Lit Areas
Why should you park your vehicle in a garage or driveway? Because this to deter thieves as they are less likely to target a car in a well-lit area where they can be easily seen. If you don’t have a garage, park in a well-populated area with good visibility.
- Deterrence through Visibility. Urban studies reveal well-lit areas reduce car theft risk by around 20%.
- Strategic Parking. Choose spots in busy areas to further deter potential thieves.
- Use of Driveways. Parking at home? A driveway or garage significantly lowers theft risk.
Never Leave Your Keys In The Car
One of the simplest steps in preventing auto theft is to never leave your keys left in the car. Not only does it give car thieves easy access to your vehicle but access to more important things. For example, leaving keys in the car can also give the thief access to other keys on the keychain, such as house keys, which can lead to additional thefts.
- Eliminate Easy Access. According to Chattanooga Police, over 60% of stolen vehicles had keys inside.
- Protect Your Assets. Keep your keys with you to protect your car and belongings.
Install A Car Alarm
Car alarms can prevent auto theft by making loud noise when someone attempts to break into the car, alerting people nearby, and scaring off the thief. They can also be connected to a remote keyless entry system, allowing the owner to arm and disarm the alarm remotely. Some car alarms also have a “panic” button that alerts the owner when the alarm is triggered, which can be useful for drawing attention to the car if it’s being stolen.
- Audible Deterrence. Properly installed car alarms are shown to reduce theft likelihood by 30%.
- Remote Accessibility. Connect your alarm to a keyless entry system for added convenience and security.
- Panic Feature. The panic button can draw immediate attention, potentially thwarting theft attempts.
Vehicle Theft Prevention FAQs
Can Cars Be Tracked If Stolen?
Yes, vehicles can be tracked down and recovered if they are stolen! This is done using GPS tracking technology, which can be integrated into modern cars through OnStar or Sirius XM. You can GPS track your stolen car’s location and report the vehicle’s location to the police, who can then safely recover your vehicle. If your vehicle does not come equipped with car GPS, you can invest in a portable tracker that is battery-powered, an OBD2 GPS tracker, or a hard-wired real time tracking device with kill switches that can disable the vehicle.
What Is The Best Car Theft Prevention Device?
Steering wheel locks, brake locks, or wheel locks are all great at auto theft prevention as they physically prevent the car from being driven away by locking the steering wheel, brake, or wheel. Car alarms are also great anti-theft security tools. However, the best overall anti-theft device for cars is a GPS tracker. The most popular vehicle tracking devices include:
- SpaceHawk GPS – Best Anti-Theft Security Device For Under $100
- Vyncs GPS Tracker – OBDii GPS Tracker With 4-Star Amazon Rating
- Everlast GPS– GPS Tracking With Longest Battery Life
- Tracki – Cheapest GPS Device For Cars
How Many Cars Are Stolen Per Year In The USA?
According to the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), an average of 748,841 motor vehicles were reported stolen in the United States each year from 2016 to 2020. However, it’s worth noting that this number may not accurately reflect the total number of vehicles stolen each year, as some thefts may go unreported.
What Is The Most Stolen Car In America?
According to data from the National Insurance Crime Bureau, the most stolen brand of car in the United States in 2020 was the Honda Civic and Honda Accord. Why? Because these cars are widely available, easy to steal, and most importantly, parts from the Honda Civic and Honda Accord cars are in high demand on the black market.
Learn more about how we test and evaluate products by clicking here.
- Every 44 Seconds a Car Is Stolen In The US! Here Are 6 Car Theft Prevention Devices To Protect You
- Best GPS Tracker For Car Anti Theft – Starter Disable GPS
- Tevlaphee Universal Steering Wheel Brake Lock – Best Security Device On Amazon
- Motorcycle Alarm Disc Brake Lock
- Best Alarm System – Compustar CS7900-AS
- RVLock V4 Key Fob and Keyless Entry Keypad – Best For RVs
- CarLock – Real Time GPS & Car Alarm
- 5 Best Ways To Prevent Auto Theft
- Lock Your Car & Close Your Windows
- Use A Steering Wheel Lock Anti-Theft Device
- Park In Well-Lit Areas
- Never Leave Your Keys In The Car
- Install A Car Alarm
- Vehicle Theft Prevention FAQs